PIP & Liability Claims Manager
This position supervises and coordinates the activities of our legal counsel and the PIP and Liability adjuster’s work activities and daily operations. Qualified candidates will have exceptional analytical skills, the ability to exercise good judgment and a thorough understanding of general P&C insurance policies, State regulations and Michigan No Fault Law.
- Responsible for the direction of the PIP and Liability Claims Units to ensure consistent delivery of services that meet or exceed customer expectations and complies with regulatory and company standards.
- Responsible for overall management of the PIP Claims Unit and Liability Claims Unit which includes interviewing, coaching, training and performance management.
- Responsible for the achievement of corporate goals for: premium and policy growth, combined ratio and service.
- Resolve questions and issues that have been escalated through the team.
- Review and audit claim files and requests for payment.
- Maintain quality claim files in accordance with appropriate Best Practices, review/audit file activity throughout the life of files.
- Review loss notices to determine extent of loss and coverage and steps to be taken to process, investigate, evaluate and negotiate claims.
- Travel to mediations, trials and conferences as required.
- Foster and encourage strong relationships within the team and with customers, policyholders, agency partners and vendors.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Business analytics and basic math application
- Independent decision making and problem resolution skills
- Good time management and the ability to multi-task
- Bachelor degree preferred; five years or more experience required
How to Contact Us
E-mail your resume and cover letter as an attachment (Microsoft Word, PDF, text, or webpage) to
mail them to:
Pioneer State Mutual Insurance Co.
1510 North Elms Rd.
Flint, MI 48532
ATTN. Christy vonLinsowe
Rewarding PSMIC Career Options
We are always interested in developing relationships with skilled candidates for future openings. Pioneer State Mutual’s key to success depends on creating the ultimate customer experience. Therefore, candidates must have a desire to listen, problem solve, anticipate and meet the future needs of our customers. Additionally, they must possess good communication skills, pay attention to detail and documentation, have superb critical thinking abilities and exhibit sound judgment. An advanced educational background or equivalent Property and Casualty (P&C) work experience is necessary for these opportunities.
Below is a list of typical P&C insurance careers and potential opportunities at Pioneer State Mutual Insurance Company:
Claims representatives investigate, evaluate and review various policies. Additionally, they analyze coverage and meet with parties involved with a claim in an effort to bring the claim to a fair, efficient and timely conclusion. Field staff MUST have a clean driving record.
Personal and commercial lines underwriting professionals utilize their expertise to examine and manage risk. Using industry specific tools, they review and analyze insurance applications and information from our independent agency partners to determine risk acceptability.
There are several positions within the IS department including software developers, systems analysts, project managers, programmers, PC support technicians, network support technicians and quality assurance analysts. We are specifically looking for skilled candidates in .NET, Java and SQL for use within key applications such as Guidewire and Thunderhead.
Actuaries analyze and quantify the financial impact of risk and uncertainty. These professionals develop and validate financial models to aid in business decisions, which may include insurance coverage pricing, new product development, loss reserving and risk management. A strong background and comfort level with calculus, probability and statistics is essential for success. We are specifically looking for candidates with GLM and predictive modeling experience.
Our marketing department works as a liaison between PSMIC and the independent agency partners who sell our products. They train and inform agencies of new marketing strategies, important business developments and changes in company policies, practices and systems. Candidates must be well versed with technology and social media, versatile, diplomatic and willing to travel in a defined geographical area. Networking and relationship development is a must for these positions. Field staff MUST have a clean driving record.
Traditional values (honesty, fairness and uncompromising integrity) are every bit as important to us as innovative ideas and strong business results. Pioneer and its staff have earned a reputation over the years for financial strength ($400 million in combined assets and $187 million in direct written premium), for quality products and service and for exemplary claim-handling ability. A.M. Best Company has rated us A+ (Superior), which reflects the relative strength of an insurance company in comparison to the overall insurance industry in vital areas such as competent underwriting, control of expenses, adequate resources and sound investment choices. We are one of a few single-state writers nationally that hold this rating.
We encourage and reward high performance and are constantly raising the bar to new heights, searching for smarter and greener ways of working while leveraging technology to become more efficient for our workforce and our customers. We provide an environment that employees find rewarding, where people are excited about what they do and the opportunities that lie ahead.
To achieve this vision we’re hiring, promoting, training and rewarding people who have a similar vision for their own future. Potential staff members should welcome personal responsibility and have the ability to have fun while working well with others. They must possess the technical or subject matter expertise with an understanding of broader business issues, and they must be willing to look beyond the status quo to help make things happen.
Pioneer State Mutual offers extremely competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience. Regular full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits package:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO medical coverage and Delta Dental coverage which includes both cash-in-lieu options and vision plan coverage through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Account Program for pre-tax payment of health and dependent care expenditures.
- Health Savings Account Program for pre-tax payment of out-of-pocket expenditures associated with our optional High Deductible Healthcare Plan.
- Excellent 401K plan with a dollar-for-dollar company match along with a fixed distribution on an annual basis managed by Fidelity Investments (6 year vesting schedule). Roth & traditional deferrals available.
- Life insurance (3x annual salary), accidental death and dismemberment coverage and both short and long term disability insurance.
- Paid Time Off schedule based on years of service.
- Seven paid holidays per year and four floating holidays granted at the discretion of the company.
- Fitness Center & Wellness Activities.
- Adoption Assistance.
- Matching Gifts Program.
- Employee discounts for Homeowner and Auto policies.
- Continuous job-related training and education.
- Personal Appearance - staff choice of casual or business casual attire at any time.
- Local volunteer and charitable opportunities are available.
We strive for a proper work and life integration. Office hours are from 7:30am – 4:30pm Monday through Thursday and Friday hours are 7:00am - 1:30pm.
Pioneer provides nearly everything you need to succeed in your job - the latest technology, comprehensive benefits and the freedom to perform your job to achieve maximum results. If you’re looking for a career that is about finding creative solutions and making a difference, Pioneer State Mutual would like to hear from you.