Exciting opportunity for a company-level, Multi-Line Commercial Underwriter I in Flint Michigan. This is an entry level Commercial Underwriting position for a Michigan territory, and includes evaluating risks related to our commercial lines products to determine acceptability while working to meet established profitability and production goals. This will be a hybrid position, reporting to the home office in Flint, MI three days a week with remote capabilities/opportunities two days a week.
- Determine whether to accept, modify or decline Commercial risks within appropriate authority level.
- Learn and interpret insurance coverages, contracts and procedures.
- Communicate underwriting decisions in a clear, reasonable manner as related to the Company underwriting guidelines.
- Responsible for the development of strong relationships with the independent agents and their staff members that represent Pioneer within their specific territory through physical visits to their offices, phone/video calls, outings, etc.
- Monitor and assist in ways to develop and maintain a profitable book of business within the territory.
- Consult with field representatives, insurance agents, and other insurance or inspection companies to obtain further information, quote rates or explain company underwriting policies.
- Examine documents such as application forms, inspection reports, and past claims to determine degree of risk from such factors as applicant financial standing, business operations, loss experience and value and condition of property, vehicles, inventory and equipment.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree and/or CPCU, CIC, or CRM certificate designation.
- Experience in handling Commercial Property, Liability, Umbrella, Inland Marine, Workers Compensation, Commercial Auto, Garage, BOP or Package business policies
- Exhibit professional, courteous and compassionate service in a timely manner to external clients and internal staff.
- Sound reasoning and independent decision-making skills.
- Ability to research and analyze various types of data and information.
- Detail oriented perspective with good organization skills.