Does a college student need insurance for their belongings while away at college?


If the student is a permanent resident of the insured home, is a full-time student, and has been at the student housing location at any time during the 45 days immediately before the loss, then they do not need insurance for the belongings. In this case, the belongings would be covered under the Homeowners insurance where the student is a permanent resident (Example: their parent’s Homeowners insurance would cover their belongings if the student lives with their parents when not at school).