Personal Lines Underwriter
This role serves as an active liaison with our agency partners and policyholders. They will evaluate risks related to our personal lines products to determine acceptability and will work to meet established profitability and production goals.
- Responsible for the development of strong relationships with the independent agents and their staff members that represent Pioneer within their specific territory through physical visits to their offices, phone/video calls, outings, etc.
- Monitors and assists in ways to build and develop a profitable book of business within the territory.
- Consults with field representatives, insurance agents, and other insurance or inspection companies to obtain further information, quote rates or explain company underwriting policies.
- Examines documents such as application forms, inspection reports, insurance maps and past claims to determine degree of risk from such factors as applicant financial standing, business operations, loss experience and value and condition of property, vehicles, inventory and equipment.
- Determines whether to accept, modify or decline risks.
- Establishes types of limits of coverage to be provided.
- Determines if reinsurance is needed and authorizes reinsurance policy when risk is high.
- Calculates standard rates and premium charge by using approved formulas and tables.
- Decreases value of policy when risk is substandard to limit company obligation and specifies applicable endorsements or applies rating to ensure safe and profitable distribution of risks.
- Develops or modifies policy wording when standard text is not appropriate.
- Monitors the amount of insurance in force on single risk or group of closely related risks and evaluates possibility of losses due to catastrophe or excessive insurance.
- Minimum 3-4 years related experience in insurance or underwriting.
- Bachelor degree in business or related field and/or CPCU, CIC, or CRM certificate designation.
- Exhibit professional, courteous and compassionate service in a timely manner to external clients and internal staff.
- Sound reasoning and independent decision-making skills.
- Ability to research and analyze various types of data and information.
- Professional written and oral communications.
- Detail oriented perspective with good organization skills.
- Proficient PC knowledge and satisfactory keyboarding skills.