Pioneer State Mutual Insurance understands the importance of ensuring that your farm, land, buildings and home are well protected. Our coverages are designed to fit your specific needs and give a well-rounded protection.
Coverages for many types of farms, including:
- Livestock Farms (Dairy, Hog, Sheep, Beef & more)
- Country Estate (“Hobby Farms”)
- Crop Farms
- Community Supported Agriculture (“Urban Gardens”)
Farm Equipment Breakdown Coverage
This coverage is automatically incorporated into all Farm Owners and Country Estate policies and includes:
- Direct Damage
- Business Income / Extra Expense
- Hazardous Substance
- Perishable Goods
- Expediting Expense
- Utility Interruption
- Consequential Loss to Livestock & Poultry
- Data & Media
- Portable Covered Equipment
- Irrigation Equipment
- Drying Out
Farm Home and Property Coverage
- Debris removal
- Trees, shrubs and plants
- Credit card protection
- Refigerated products
- Farm machinery glass breakage
- Farm records coverage
- Owner cargo coverage
Other Optional Coverages
- Liability insurance protects in cases of:
- Farm Product Liability (i.e. milk contamination)
- Damage by overspray
- Limited sudden and accidental pollution
- Incidental custom farming
- Farm Umbrella
- Replacement Cost Farm Buildings
- Loss of Income
- Home-based Business
- Rock Coverage
- “Mix & Match” Deductibles
- Commercial Auto Policy (coverage options specifically for farmers)
- Workers' Compensation
- Employment Practices Liability (EPL)
- Commercial Liability Umbrella
- Farm Advantage for Dwelling
- Back-Up of Sewers or Drains
- Fire Department Service Charge
- Identity Theft Expense Coverage
- Ordinance and Law
- Refrigerated Products
- Farm Advantage for Property
- Fire Extinguisher Recharge
- Rental Reimbursement for Farm Machinery/Mobile Equipment
- Outdoor Sign Coverage
- Lock and Key Replacement Coverage
*Some discounts may not apply to your specific situation. For specific information please contact an
Independent Insurance Agent
in your community.
- Mature Farm Owner
- New Home
- Individual Risk Premium Modification Plans (IRPM):
- Management and Safety Practices
- Financial Conditions
- Physical Conditions
- Loss History
It was the early 1900s, and as severe storms passed through Michigan, farmers across the land feared the weather would ravage their livelihoods.
Michigan businessman George Whitaker grew tired of seeing countless neighbors’ farms go up in smoke from these sudden strikes of lightning. He knew that despite the terrorizing fear locals had of the storms, many couldn’t afford the very expensive fire insurance. So, he devised a revolutionary idea.
Whitaker designed a plan to sell lightning rods and insurance. Farm owners who purchased a lightning rod would receive an insurance discount, thus keeping them both safe and secure in case of a loss.
In order to better promote his ideas, he recruited the cooperation of prominent local landowners Travis Leach and George Foster. Together, the men sought out other Michigan businessmen to help move their ideas forward.
Finally, in 1908 the group joined forces to create a mutual insurance company entitled “Farmer’s Mutual Lightning Protected Fire Insurance Company of Michigan, Ltd,” and so our story began.
From that point on, our company rapidly grew. It left behind its beginnings in Mr. Whitaker’s home, and through the years moved through several different office buildings around Mid-Michigan. As our businesses and coverage lines expanded, we also went through a journey of name changes that eventually led us to “Pioneer State Mutual Insurance Company.”
Throughout our entire history and continuing today, Pioneer State Mutual has been committed to our farming neighbors. We understand the need for trustworthy, encompassing coverage. That’s why, just like our founders, we continue to offer discounts for safe practices and reliable coverage to protect your farms and families.
Pioneer State Mutual works hand-in-hand with our independent agents to get you the coverage you need. If you’d like more information on our coverage options contact an agent in your area by clicking here.
The above coverages, options and/or discounts may vary based upon your specific requirements. For complete coverage information and/or to receive a quote, please contact one of our
Independent Insurance Agents.